Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Calling all Grandmas with Heart


Hi, I am hoping there might be a grandma, grandpa, aunt or uncle out there who is living with the reality of a grandchild (niece or nephew) with CHD and wants to talk about it. My little guy was born with interrupted aortic arch, VSD, hypoplastic aortic root and DiGeorge Syndrome. He is the bravest person I know.

Drew just had his 3rd open heart surgery at Stanford University. He is 4 years old and doing great after a 6 week hospital stay. His parents, my daughter and son in law, could not be doing a better job raising him and his 2 year old sister. However, I sometimes find that I can't let out my true feelings to them, as they are going through enough of their own fear, conflict, etc.. I try to just listen and offer encouragement but sometimes its hard to know what to say and its hard to keep my own fears, thoughts, etc in all the time. I know they can't possibly feel what I feel, but I bet you can if you're in this situation and I'd love to talk about it. It is hard to be the mother of a mother with a heart baby. Its hard to see her cry her eyes out over other heart babies that she knows. Its beautiful to see her help them and reach out to them and watch her give them her support, though, and I'm wondering if I can do the same with other moms, dads, and relatives of special children like me that have special children of their own.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are the best, most supportive mom and grandma I have ever known. You are always there for your daughter,son-in-law, and grandkids. Even though you think you are not saying or doing the "right" thing don't doubt yourself, your strong support and love is always appreciated. You are a sounding board with unconditional love, a safe haven. So keep doing what you are doing.....

Just Sue said...

Hello there, I am a grandma with a heart also...and I have a DARLING Grandaughter who was born with CHD. Her name is Marin Addison. She was born with Shones Syndrome. I don't know all the techno terms, but I know there have been 5 areas of concern. I understand your feelings for and about your grandchildren. It sounds as though you love Drew and his sister as much as I love Marin and her brother Carter. Thank you for starting this blog. I will check it often. What a great idea.

Visit InfoServe for blogger backgrounds and custom web site design.